Kichdi - All in One dish
Weekend is almost here. Even better, this is Long weekend :). Actually I didn't realize this is long weekend until this Monday. Looking forward to enjoy as much as possible. I am going to my sister's place and she has a barbecue in her backyard. Planning to come up with something(besides usual Tandoori Chicken) to make on barbecue. May be corn on the cob, shrimp.. oh, I can go on forever about what I am planning to make. No, I am not going to write about barbecue stuff in this post, because I didn't make them yet :).
I usually love one pot dishes, easy to make, tasty and not many dishes to clean afterwards. Whenever I plan to make one pot dishes, first thing that comes to my mind is Kichdi. I love it and can eat it for every meal, I never get bored:). Anyways, this is how I made my kichdi:
- Uncooked rice - 3 cups
- Carrots, cut into small pieces - 1/2 cup
- Green Peas - 1/2 cup
- Beans, cut - 1/2 cup
- Cauliflower florets - 1/2 cup
- Potato- cut into cubes - 1 small
- Small black chickpeas(sanagalu) - 1/4 cup
- Pearl Onions- 7 or 8 ( or you can use 1 medium onion cut into big pieces)
- Coriander Leaves, finely chopped - 2-3 sprigs
- Curry Leaves - 4-5 leaves
- Garam Masala (cloves,cinnamon,cardomom mix made into fine powder,optional) - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2-1 tsp (according to your taste)
- Chilli powder - 1 tbsp
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Heat a pot pan on the stove still it smokes. Add Oil to it.
- When the oil heats up, add mustard seeds,cumin seeds, curry leaves and tumeric to it.
- When the seeds start to splutter, add chickpeas(sanagalu). The sanagalu when they come in contact with this hot oil, will start to splutter too.
- Then add onion and saute for a minute.
- Then add carrot,peas,beans,potato, cauliflower pieces and mix well till the vegetables get coated with oil.
- Add some salt and chilli powder at this stage so that the vegetables do not taste too bland. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Then add rice and mix well.
- Add water and adjust salt, chilli pepper, add garam masala(if using), coriander leaves and give it a stir.
- Cover and cook on medium flame till the rice is cooked.
Enjoy the kichdi with your favourite picke. I like eating it with Mango Pickle.